France will not take back ISIS jihadis and families following backlash
France has ruled out repatriating jihadists and their families from Syria following furious backlash at reports 250 of them would be allowed to return.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner told a press conference in Paris on Friday: 'No communal repatriation was under consideration to be carried out.'
It had been reported that in early March the government was prepared to bring home around 250 men, women and children from the former 'caliphate,' which brought widespread public backlash.
France and other European nations are considering how to deal with the thousands of foreigners, many of whom are being held by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces which led the final push against IS.
The issue is extremely sensitive in France, where a deadly 2015 attack on the capital claimed by IS killed 130 people and set off a wave of other deadly assaults since then.
Castaner said: 'It's logical that our services considered all hypotheses. This was one of the hypothesis they prepared.'
However, he reiterated that France would nonetheless study bringing back children of jihadist fighters on a 'case-by-case basis'.